compiling & Installing different versions of kernel

I am using 2.4.19 kernel and now I want to appy the a patch to certain file, compile it, and install it as diffeeret version, say "2.4.19-patched" (so that it has differenet modules directory and should not mess up with my working /lib/modules/2.4.19).

So how can I proceed to compile, install the patched version and still have the 2.4.19 if someting goes wrong.

I think make-kpkg can also be used. If yes, how?

Thanks
J S Sahambi