Re: workstations syslogging to server

D. J. Bolderman said:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to setup my debian workstations to redirect all their logs to
> my server. My server is running logcheck so it would be nice if I would
> get an e-mail with all "strange" things that happen on my workstations.
>
> I know i must configure the syslog service for this, but I
> can't seem to figure it out. Can anybody please point me in the right
> direction ?

I strongly reccomend using syslog-ng for this. normal syslog would
just be a nightmare because it doesn't have the filtering capabilities
that syslog-ng has.

I have been running syslog-ng on freebsd for almost a year and below
I post my syslog.conf:

http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/syslog-ng.conf

note I use an alternate log directory /var/log-ng so that system
utilities don't screw the files up(e.g. log rotation). Easier then
going through the system and disabling such programs manually.

good luck!

nate