Re: Printing trouble driving me crazy.

Andy Saxena wrote:

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 05:16:48PM -0700, Jaye Inabnit ke6sls wrote:
Hello Joh:

IMO, the thing you did wrong was not installing cups. I think it has to be the most user-friendly way to get a printer up and running on any distro of Linux. The driver base is huge and the ability to configure drivers on the fly is awesome. I migrated from Lprng to cups on this box, and I just completed a new install of Woody with cups on my laptop. Both run perfectly.

I will second that as a recent CUPS convert. Heck, it took me all of 5
minutes to configure two shared HP LaserJet printers that were attached
to two Windows 2000 machines. This was on a Windows network and I had
Samba pre-configured.

For the sake of completeness I should state that I used the kdeprint
interface to CUPS, though I don't think that makes a lot of difference
as far as user-friendliness of CUPS is concerned. Be prepared to be
amazed!
-Andy

http://www.linuxprinting.org/
An hours reading here, and you will seldom run in to trouble again.
For everyone with modern hp injets its a must have, since it explains cups and hpijs in an easy way.
Kenneth