Re: idiosyncratic "ln" not making hard links

* Mark L. Kahnt (kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org) [020925 10:55]:
> On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 13:34, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Elizabeth Barham (soggytrousers@yahoo.com) [020925 09:24]:
> > > link("k", "y")                          = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
> I'm going to toss in a *wild* question, but given that the actual link
> attempt is failing, this wandered through the chasm I use as a mind:
>
> What filesystem is on the partition on which the link is being made?
> There isn't a chance that it is fat/vfat, is there?

Not a bad question.  Ordinarily, I'd expect that to give an error like
"Permission denied" instead of "No such file...".  The latter I'd expect
to see if the current working directory (the target in which to create
the new link) had been deleted, or if it refers to a dangling symlink to
a deleted directory.  From the simple example given:

touch x
ln x y

It looks fine at first glance, unless some other process on the machine
came and wiped out the directory we were working in between the touch
and the ln commands (otherwise touch would have gotten the ENOENT in the
first place).

Now that it mysteriously works again, I guess we may never know ;-)

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/