Re: ps output

Thanks Felix. That cleared it up for me.

: > Hello everyone. In the output of the ps command I see that some of the
: > processes have state codes of SW.
: > The ps man page states that the 'W' means that the process "has no
: > resident pages." What does
: > this mean?
:
: A "page" in this context is a small part of memory. (Think of "page fault"
: which means
: that an application accesses parts of memory that belong to other apps)
:
: This means that the code and data of the application is swapped to disk.
: When the program is not currently used, its code and data are "swapped"
: (written on disk in the swap-parition), so that the memory can be used by
: another
: application.
: For example, I think I heard that the sun java vm + apps require ~100MB,
but
: most of it is
: swapped, so it only about 10MB (depending on apps) are used.

: