OT: Alternatives to ls for sorting files by modification time

Hi!

I admit that this is off-topic since it's a general shell scripting
question, but what alternative commands instead of ls can be used to sort
files by modification time? I'm not interested in the modification times,
just the file names. So, actually in something that emulates "ls
-lt1" behavior.

(When I used "ls -lt1" I got an "argument list too long" error, so I need
to use something else, but to be honest, I don't know what.)

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!

Kind regards,

	Holger