Re: supersuer by a normal user with chmod

* Raffaele Sandrini (maturarbeit@gmx.ch) [020925 00:30]:
> I tested the following: As a normal user i crated a file in my homedir.
> % touch test
>
> I changed it to a exec file.
> % chmod 700 test
>
> No i set the superuser bit
> % chmod +s test
>
> It worked(!!!!!). That means that a user can download for example a BASH
> binary and set the superuser bit for it ans has root privileges ??!!
>
> Am i missing here something?

Yes. =)

+s is the setuid bit, not the 'superuser bit' (there is no such thing).

man chmod, take a deep breath, and test that your u+s binary does not in
fact run with root privileges.

good times,
Vineet
--