problem with cupsys post-install

Hi, I'm having a problem installing cupsys on my system.  I am using Sid with
the addition of X 4.2 and kde3 packages.

When trying to configure cupsys, this is what happens:
# dpkg --configure --pending
Setting up cupsys (1.1.15-4) ...
Adding group lpadmin (1001)...
Password:
At which point I try entering my root password.  Unfortunately, it seems as if
my input is not being sent to the configuration program.  It echoes the
password to the screen as I type it (instead of masking it) and then nothing
happens when I press enter.  At this point, all I can do is control+c out of
the configuration, which of course yields an error message.

I tried adding the group lpadmin myself with
# addgroup lpadmin
(incidentally, why does this ask for a new UNIX password?), but then when
trying to configure cupsys, this happens:
# dpkg --configure --pending
Setting up cupsys (1.1.15-4) ...
Starting CUPSys: cupsddpkg: error processing cupsys (--configure):

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  As I am not subscribed to debian-user,
I'd appreciate it if all responses were CC'ed to me.  Thanks.
-Ari