Re: Talking about USB Mouses yesterday...

> The hotplug package is currently installed, and so is the gpm package.
> These are the packages strait of the 7CD set.  I can't get gpm to work
> either, maybe that would be a goood precursor to making sure X worked?
>
> Additionally, I don't know how to re-use the debian config that I did during
> installation to reconfigure X, which is another reason I used xf86config.
> Everybody was so helpful yesterday, so thank you.  I am really hoping I can
> find a resolution to this soon.  Thanks.

  Getting gpm to work first would definately be a good idea. So stop
  worrying about X for now.
  It sounds like you haven't got the correct kernel modules installed
  yet. Go over the previous posts to try and work out the names of the
  modules that you need (I don't know what they are). Then try

    $  modprobe module_name module_name modules_name ...

  Eg, you will probably need the uhci modules

    $ modprobe usb-uhci

  If it it loads correctly, you shouldn't see any messages on the
  console. You are going to need other modules.

  Are you running devfsd? If you are, once you have the correct modules
  loaded you should be able to see the mouse device, /dev/input/mice.
  If you are not running devfsd, you will need to use mknod to create
  that file.

  Now you should be able to re-start gpm to test if everything is done.
  Make sure you tell gpm to use /dev/input/mice, either by using
  '-m /dev/input/mice' on the command line, or editing the 'device='
  field in /etc/gpm.conf. (If editing /etc/gpm.conf you need to start
  gpm with the /etc/init.d/gpm script).

  If you don't get mouse action on the console (remember, we aren't
  running X yet) you either
  a) don't have the correct modules loaded
  b) don't have the /dev/input/mice created correctly
  c) haven't started gpm the right way

  To help with the debuging process, some people find it useful to mount
  the usbdevfs filesystem. This puts some directories under /proc with
  information about what is plugged into the usb ports, and what drivers
  are being used. To get access to this information, put the following
  line in you fstab file:

  	none  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0

  Then do (as root) a
    $ mount /proc/bus/usb

  And have a look at the files in their.

  Once you have worked out what the correct modules are you should edit
  /etc/modules, and add those module names so the modules will be loaded
  into the kernel automatically.

  Now if you can't even modprobe the modules, perhaps they don't exist
  on your system, and you need to compile your own kernel.

  Geoff