problem with depmod and binfmt_elf.o

i'm new to linux, so please forgive my ignorance...

while attempting to run a "make install" to setup my graphics driver in the kernel, i receive the following error:

depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/binfmt_elf.o
make: *** [package-install] Error 1

i get the same message from depmod when i run it by itself.

hmm...  i'm certain the kernel was compiled with elf support, and i'm not quite sure why this error would occur.  is binfmt_elf.o somehow setup incorrectly?  please help...  i'm on the final leg of a week-long effort to get x windows up and running!!!  :)

thanks,
brad