tar.gz to debian packages

Hi,

i use yaprimaxgui & pxscan to get my Primax Direct 9600 scanner working. (sane doesn't provide a backend for this type just yet).
Anyway, no problem, as i found the mentioned packages. Both packages are in tar.gz: i built them and they run. However the system doesn't know about them sinc they aren't .deb files. I thought building a deb from the sources would be a better way of handling this or is it overkill?
If so, i found the Debian New Maintainers' Guide, is this what one uses to accomplish this?

Thanks.