Re: Simple network problem

On Sunday 22 September 2002 09:31, Robert Epprecht wrote:
> I want to link an old laptop to my pc.
>
> I have done this before using Debian potato on my pc and another (older)
> Linux installation on the laptop, so I know it is not a hardware problem.
> Now I have woody on both machines.  The pc side works OK and I can use
> the network (if I boot my *old* Linux system on the laptop).  But when I
> boot woody on the laptop I'm out of luck:
>
> ping pc
> ping: sendto: Network is unreachable
> (I can't ping from the pc to the laptop either).
>
> My knowledge/experience with networks is very limited,
> so I search a bit everywhere I can think of:
>
> As the link goes over a PCMCIA card I suspected a missing module or
> something, but I see with dmesg:
> eth0: NE2000 (DL10019 rev 05): io 0x300, irq 3, ...
>
> ifconfig shows lo only
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> eth0: found link beat
> eth0: autonegotiation complete: 100baseT-FD selected
> But ping does still not work.

i am assuming that pcmcia services are up, and all modules needed for your
pcmcia card are loaded.

whats the output of ifconfig eth0 ? does it show an ip address, or is it
blank?
also, see /etc/network/interfaces, and make sure its defuned properly.
should look like that :

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.x  < --- or what ever ip you use
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
        gateway 192.168.0.1

if you had to modify this file, restart networking after doing so
(/etc/init.d/networking restart) and ifconfig again to see that the changed
applied.

after you will have your local networking set, you can add a routing entry to
your kernel routing table,

route add default gw x.x.x.x.  <--- replace with the ip of your gateway.

you can use that to get out to the internet using your gateway. you will have
to add a rule to iptables on the gateway though..

good luck,

tal.

--
Amir Tal