Re: ssh and rsync

D. Joe Anderson wrote:

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 06:38:35PM +0200, Kenneth Macdonald Karlsen wrote:
For various reasons (Bandwidth limiting opiton) i wish to copy a file from my local machine to a remote machine using rsync.
I wish to tunnel this trough ssh since the remote site doesnt run rsync.
The problem i'm running in to is that the ssh deamon on remote site is running on a high port and not the default port 22.
I cant seem to get the ssh connection to connect to an other port than 22.

This is how i run the command:
rsync --bwlimit=50 -ve -- ssh localfile ken@remote.host.net:portnumber/u/ken/

Does anyone have suggestions?

You may be able to quote the argument to the -e option in order to
specify the port rsync --bwlimit=50 -v -e "ssh -p portnum" . . .
or something like that.

I haven't done this, but have quoted the the argument to -e in order
to specify and identify file, eg

ssh -e "ssh ~/.ssh/keyfile" . . .
--Joe

It works. Thanks