Re: hosts.deny a directory???

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 09:53:49PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 08:41:16PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> > In today's system upgrade I got the following immediate message:

> > Preconfiguring packages ...
> > egrep: /etc/hosts.deny: Is a directory
> > fgrep: /etc/hosts.deny: Is a directory
> >
> > 'Tis true, and at least one other /etc file is now a directory
> > ( /etc/passwd- ).
> >
> > The hosts.deny directory contains one file,  %gconf.xml
> >
> > The passwd- directory has a single file as well,  cookie
> >
> > I've had some problems recently with /etc getting mauled for unknown
> > reasons, requiring pulling out backups to fix things.  The file system for /
> > has been messed up several times as well, for unknown reasons.
> >
> > Should I consider reinstalling the system, or can I tell how clean things
> > are in some way to assess what the hell is going on?
>
> Sounds like the system is really munged up, possibly filesystem
> corruption or failing hardware?

There isn't any indication that the hardware is dying (an IBM drive about 2
yrs. old) as no other partitions seem to have problems (/var, /home, /usr).

I have an older backup (not system-wide, but of various dirs including /etc)
which does not have the directory problems (though I don't know what else
might be there, as I don't know how long this has been in the making).  Is
there a way to wipe / clean, redo the file system, and restore from the
latest packages and backup?

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,