Re: No fonts problem in open office

franck routier wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem with open office showing no font in its user interface
(menus, dialog boxes, ...) making it unusable.

The installed version is openoffice.org 1.0.1-5 in unstable plus gnome2
from experimental (yes I know all that is expected to blow up !)

One hint, that might be related, when I launch an app from
gnome-terminal, I get this message :

The font "-*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,
                  -*-arial-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1,
		  -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,
		  -*-arial-medium-r-normal--12-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-15,*-r-*" does not
support all the required character sets for the current locale
"fr_FR@euro"
  (Missing character set "ISO8859-15")
  (Missing character set "ISO8859-15")

But open-office is the only app that doesn't show any font.

Did anyone experience a similar problem and has a hint ?

Thanks,

Franck routier

I can't help with character set problem, except to suggest you consider installing the xfonts-base-transcoded package. It has better support for the ISO8859-15 fonts than the standard "xfonts-base" package.

I had a similar "problem" with a lack of usable fonts when I first started using OpenOffice.org. The program, as it stands, doesn't use any font-server you might have set up and doesn't seem to use the installed fonts in X very well. I found that you had to manually "add" the system fonts via the printer setup menu. If you start this menu as root and look along the bottom, you will see a button labled "fonts". Pressing this brings up another screen where you can add system fonts, but you have to give it the path. In my case I just put in the "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts" path and started adding the Type1 and TrueType fonts from their respective directories. (I have added the M$ Truetype fonts via the msttcorfont package). You might want to experiment around with adding some of the otheers listed there. Once I had added the fonts via this menu, I could use them in OO Writer both on the screen as well as in printing.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon