Re: thin client

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Chavdar Videff wrote:

> I am interested in configuring two machines to use thinclient.
> I installed the new Debian 3.0 on my machine. On the second machine my
> colleague has a running Windows 98. I would like to allow my colleague use
> certain applications running on my server side without quitting her Windows
> session. I read the Thinclient howto but it explained how to configure a
> diskless machine to use an X server.
> That is why I figured out I need extensive reading of thinclient
> documentation. All reading tips will be greatly appreciated.
> Thanx in advance
> Chavdar

Hi.

You will need at least one of these:

* putty - win9x telnet/ssh client
 (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)
 You'll need this for console apps,

* an X server for win9x (like Cygwin/XFree86, see
 http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/) for X-window apps.

I've been using putty for months and I can recommend it - it works
greatly. I haven't tried the X for windows however, but I have seen some
demos in the past. If Cygwin/XFree86 doesn't suit your needs, you should
find some other implementations with google.

Regards,

Adam