Re: Help with errors in dpkg

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 12:25:50PM -0600, Dave Bartmess wrote:
> Something else I noticed, noted below, is that it doesn't seem to think
> debconf is installed... I've searched the entire drive system, and can't
> find an executable "debconf" file.

I think that's the least of your concerns (by the way, there's only
actually been an executable called 'debconf' as of quite recently - look
for something like dpkg-reconfigure instead):

> $ sudo apt-get install libc6
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libdb1-compat
>   libc6
    ^^^^^

I think your package database in /var/lib/dpkg has been seriously
damaged or destroyed. After running fsck and so on, you may have to
recover by reinstalling all currently installed packages.

It *shouldn't* be necessary to reinstall the entire system from scratch.
However, do take backups just in case. :)