Re: ssh method in sources.list

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 09:40, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 23:25, Debian wrote:
> > >
> > > What do you mean?
> >
> > I think he is asking for a method which to get his packages using
> > ssh.  To my knowledge there is no such method besides setting up
> > a tunnel.  Maybe Im worng.
>
> Oh.  If you use an authoritative source (like ftp://ftp.us.debian.org)
> and since packages are signed and automatically checked during install,
> is there any practical need for encrypted downloads?

Do you live in the future? Debian 4.0 or so?

To my knowledge, although Release files are signed, packages are not,
and not even the Release file signatures are usually checked.

:-/

So, theoretically, the need for trusted downloads exists today. Or the
need for the security infrastructure to be completed.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                           http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTICE: subkey signature! request key 92082481 from keyserver.kjsl.com