Re: using kernel-image-2.4.18-686, how to get rid of 5 seconds to enter shell at boot message?

Walter Tautz wrote:
just curious since it allows anyone to get a root shell with getting prompted
for a root passwd.

If someone is watching the bootup then couldn't they just as easily boot from a floppy or CD or hold down alt+shift during boot and type '<image> init=/bin/sh'? Though I guess you could disable booting from anything but the harddrive and password protect the bios and lilo... Try taking out 'prompt' or 'timeout=...' from lilo.conf. I also have delay=10[==1sec] and you could try delay=0. I have managed to get rid of the prompt, but I forget how exactly. I was also never able to figure out what you could do with it anyway.