Re: 3com 905B-TX won't work?

Bram Jessen wrote:
hey,
my network card won't work in debian (the card itself works under redhat/mandrake and windows) so I was wondering if I have to anything special to make it work under debian (it ain't on the "driver module" list, at least, I can't find it) (I am a linux n00b, but I ain't learning anything from mandrake, so trying debian now :)

What do you mean it "won't work in debian" exactly? Is it even being detected and a module being loaded? The correct module for this NIC is the 3c59x.o module. Do a "lsmod" as root and see if you see it listed there. If so, the card has been detected and the proper module loaded. All you have to do in that case is configure it in the /etc/network/interfaces file (man interfaces).

If the module is NOT listed in the "lsmod" command, then you should try to load it manually with "modprobe 3c59x.o" done as root, and re-check the loaded modules listing (lsmod)to confirm success. In this case you should manually edit the /etc/modules file and add it there. It will load automatically on the next re-boot. You will also still have to configure the NIC in /etc/network/modules.

I suggest a package called "etherconf", which will make configuring the NIC (once the proper module is loaded) quite easy. You might have to install it off your CD.

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-