Re: Mouse Problems On Install

  G'day,
  It sounds like when you are running X-Windows, and you move the mouse,
  absolutely nothing happens. Is this correct?
  If this isn't correct (and the mouse moves, but not where you want it)
  then you need to try different values for the Option "Protocol" in the
  XF86Config-4 file. Read the
  /usr/share/doc/xserver-xfree86/README.mouse.gz file for details on
  setting mice under X-4. Perhaps the Protocol "Auto" would work?

  That may not solve the issue though. gpm is a program that enables the
  use of the mouse on the text based consoles. If gpm can be made to
  work, then it can be used as a source of mouse information for X. It
  repeats the mouse informatino it recieves on /dev/gpmdata, so that X
  can also get that information.
  To tell if it is running, use on of the following commands:
    pgrep gpm
    ps -ax | grep gpm

  Things you might try:
  a) stop gpm, then re-run X to see if it can now get mouse information
       % /etc/init.d/gpm stop
       re-start X (not the whole computer though), generally with
       CTRL+ALT+DEL

       OR

  b) if gpm does appear to be running, reconfigure your X server to use
  the data by making the following changes to your XF86Config-4 file:

 Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Option          "CorePointer"
         Option          "Device"                "/dev/psaux"
         Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
 EndSection

    becomes:
 Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Option          "CorePointer"
         Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
         Option          "Protocol"              "Auto"
         Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
 EndSection

   Again, you may need to fiddle with the Protocol if you get some sort
   of response with this configuration, but it doesn't work properly.

   Cheers,
   Geoff Crompton

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 09:48:33PM -0700, Michael Burke wrote:
> I am brand new to Debian and spent the weekend trying to get it to work.
>
> I must admit that I am incredibly impressed with the quality of the code
> and general ease of install. I have preformed two installations now, the
> first also had the same mouse problem that I have after the second install.
> The basic system is running, several network applications are running and
> X-Windows is working, albeit via keyboard keys. While the code and
> installation procedures are very complete and functional, the documentation
> is a little understated at the present time. At least it is for a newbie.

   <rest snipped to save bandwidth>