From: nate [mailto:debian-user@aphroland.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 17 September 2002 11:13 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: apt-get 'package held back' question

Neal Lippman said:
> I just did a "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" and was told that a
> package (which I know to have been recently updated) was being "held
> back."

this usually occurs when an update depends upon another package which it did
not previously depend upon(or something like that). You can override it by
specifying the package directly, so if XYZ was held you can upgrade it by
apt-get install XYZ it will probably tell you another package will be
installed in addition to XYZ

another reason(less likely) is that you or someone else on the system
specifically told the system not to upgrade that package(a very specific
procedure), so the system won't upgrade it unless specifically instructed
to.

nate