Re: Permission question

On Monday, September 16, 2002, at 04:18 PM, Kirk Strauser wrote:

At 2002-09-16T20:15:46Z, Hal <klingons@speakeasy.org> writes:

When permissions on a link and a linked to library differ, which
permissions control usage?

The file's permissions are used. Otherwise, you could create a symlink to
/etc/shadow, change the permissions, and read it at will.

That is what I was expecting.  Wasn't sure though.

The question behind the question is what do I have to do to let exim use the pam module? (Other than run it as root) I can change the permissions to let anyone execute pam.lib.so.0.72,but I'm concerned that this will open up some sort of security issue - though I don't know what that would be. I'm presuming the permissions were set this (conflicting) way for some reason.

--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/