Re: Can't locate module char-major-116

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:57:04PM +0100, Richard Kimber wrote:
> I've recently started to receive log messages of the form:-
>
> modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-116
>
> These seem to appear randomly, though everything *seems* to work OK, and
> I'm not aware of having made any module-related changes.
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could tell me
>
> (a) where there's a list that would in future show me what char-major-xyz
> refers to

Documentation/devices.txt in the kernel source tree.

> (b) what the explanation is likely to be, and whether I need to do
> anything about it.

/etc/modutils/aliases (run update-modules after modifying it) contains a
list of aliases for char-major-<whatever> that should provide useful
examples.

If you try to access a device that doesn't correspond to anything
currently in the kernel, the kernel will try to load that alias. You're
expected to set up module aliases for anything you need to load this
way. 116 is ALSA, so in order to make accesses to /dev/aload*
automatically load ALSA you need to alias char-major-116 to whatever
module needs to be loaded.

If you don't care about modules being automatically loaded for ALSA,
then just ignore the warning. If you don't have ALSA set up at all, then
it could just be that you have an application configured to use ALSA for
sound when it shouldn't be.