Re: Can't get rid of this file--Why???

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:02:01AM -0500, John Foster wrote:
> I have a file /usr/lib/gnews after purging gnews from my system. The
> strange thing is that I can't even remove it as root. It has a string of
> numbers for the owner and group and properties of pr--r--r--  0444  Does
> anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it. It is stopping me
> from installing or removing anything connected to gnews. Also it is
> 512Mbs in size. I tried to view it and I get permission denied...even as
> root. Thanks!

Well, that's peculiar.  Try chmod it root.root.  Smells like corruption,
as a FIFO normally has zero length and packaged installed files
typically are owned root.root unless there's some compelling reason for
them to need other permissions.  All in all, an fsck might be in order.

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(