Re: Newbie needs help from Kernel-Guru

On 2002.09.15 22:58 Jamin W. Collins wrote:
On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 10:24:23PM -0400, fbrian@nac.net wrote:

> request_module [block-major-3]:Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02
> <7> uhci.c : dc00: suspend_hc

Sounds like you didn't use an initrd image and you don't have all the
drivers neccesary to support your root file system built into the
kernel.

I've found I good way to avoid this sort of situation, especially as kernel configuration becomes increasingly complex, is to copy /boot/config-kernel-version to /usr/src/kernel-source-kernel-version/.config and use that as a starting point (replacing 'kernel-version' with the actual kernel version, of course) instead of starting from scratch.

Ian