Re: connect 2 computers with USB

--Geoff Crompton <geoff.crompton@bjhcontrols.com.au> wrote
(on Friday, 13 September 2002, 09:47 AM +1000):
> > You need special USB devices to do this -- such a device
> > allows two usb hubs to connect and communicate with each other, as well
> > as to communicate information about their systems. It's basically a
> > point-to-point network.
> >
> > It is NOT as simple as getting a cable and connecting the two
> > controllers, however -- it's a device that sits between the two
> > computers and to which each computer is plugged. And they are no cheaper
> > than going out and getting a couple of network cards and a hub -- but
> > are more of a pain to set up and considerably slower.
> >
> > Go get a couple cheap network cards and a four-port ethernet hub. It's
> > easier and cheaper.
> >
> > --Matthew
>
>   What sort of rate do you get? Is it faster than 10BASE2? And do the
>   devices only allow 2 boxes to connect, or do they come in 4 way boxes?
The rates I've seen are between 5 and 7Mbit/s -- slower than 10BaseT, I'm
not sure what 10Base2 rates are, so judge for yourself. And the
ones I've seen so far only allow you to connect two boxes -- but there
may be others around.

My take on why you don't see them around much is because ethernet
networks are so cheap and easy to implement. However, with the upcoming
USB 2.0 standard, they will be faster, and it's possible the idea might
take off. I have to say, the fewer types of connections I have to
manage, the better (I currently have a parallel printer, a serial palm
cradle, cat5 ethernet, ps/2 keyboard, stereo jacks, usb
mouse/hub/scanner, and monitor all connected to a workstation... and if
it weren't for the usb scanner, I'd have a scsi card in there as
well...!)

Are you wanting to do this for the novelty of it? to see if you can do
it? or would an ethernet network solve the problem? Right now, until
there are cheap usb 2 solutions out there, I don't see any reason to
pursue it unless you really have an itch to scratch -- but that's just
my 2 cents.

--Matthew