Re: vi saved file message from root

Richard Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu> [2002-09-12 14:50:52 -0700]:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 09:51:19AM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> > You can list files that are available for recover with 'vi -r'.  At
> > boot time or perhaps by cron this is being mailed to users.
>
> I tried this, and it didn't list any files.

Strange.  The best I can say is "works for me".

> Thanks for suggesting RTFM, but I had done that and wrote this list
> because it didn't seem to help.
> I had also typed:
> >   vi -r /tmp/vi.7faEP4
> But it didn't help (the screen just flickered and I was returned to the
> prompt).  So you lost that bet!

In my defense I will say that your posting was not clear about at what
you had or had not done.  You did not say earlier that you had tried
that command to no effect.  If you had, I would have asked to make
sure you had run that as the user in question and not as root.
Running as root would have listed out files that root could recover
and not the user.

> But I didn't know the files were kept in the locations you mention, and
> I see that there are a couple of files (with completely different
> numbers) in /var/tmp/vi.recover that were created on the date that the
> user gets the email message about.  I'm going to delete those, and see
> if that helps (one of them has the error message the user receives in it).

Sounds good.

> I am guilty of not running any system tmp cleaners that I know of
> (basically, this is my first Linux experience and I'm still trying to
> learn how to do all of these things).  I guess I'll try to figure out
> how to set one of those up.

I will certainly apologize on this front.  I had assumed that Debian
had a standard tmp cleaner installed.  (RH seems to call their version
tmpwatch.)  But it appears that Debian zeros out /tmp on a reboot and
does nothing with /var/tmp.  I always run my own scripts on top of the
systems and had not noticed that /var/tmp was not ever cleaned by
default.  So it seems that can collect a long history of lint there.

Perhaps someone will suggest a package that cleans /tmp and /var/tmp
in Debian?

Bob