Re: Local address lookup

Jan Willem Stumpel <jstumpel@planet.nl> [2002-09-12 20:38:41 +0200]:
> 3. But it is not the whole truth, because (as I said) I have an
>    /etc/nsswitch.conf file on my machine, and it says
>       hosts:       files dns
>    and still local lookups do not work (i.e. outside name servers
>    are consulted first).

Just something that might add to the confusion if you don't know about
it.  If you are using a tool like nslookup, host, or dig then all of
those will use dns only.  That is the only purpose of those commands.
Therefore you cannot use them for checking local files.  Using telnet
which should just be using the libc gethostbyname() and friends should
in libc use /etc/nsswitch.conf et al.  You probably already knew
that.  But if not then it can be confusing.

Bob