Re: Writing GIFs

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:16:02PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> [2002-09-11 10:55:37 -0700]:
> > I realize I am a terrible person for wanting to violate Unisys's
> > patents, but I'm working on a web site that I think will often be
> > visited by people with old browsers (it's the site for the elementary
> > school my daughter attends), so rather than use PNGs, I think I'd be
> > better off with GIFs.
>
> I have always prefered jpegs since they load faster.  I like that fact
> that most browsers will show you the image as it downloads and
> therefore it feels faster to me on slow connections.

The JPEG encoding isn't very good for text and line art.  If you turn
compression on the JPEG to 0, it'll work but then the size would
likely be greater than a comparable GIF or PNG.

> Don't all browsers support .jpg format?  (I really don't know but had
> always assumed so.)

Last I checked, lynx and links don't ;-)  Remember those
alt="BUY THIS NOW!!!" attributes for our sight impaired folks as well.

--
begin 664 .signature
M<F5L;&E-("Y'(&-I<D4@/G1E;BYS<&I`,FUG93P)"`@("`@("`@("`@("`@(