Fax Software, Modems, and Woody

Team:

I'm running a fairly vanilla woody 3.0 r0 system.

I have added a modem on com1.  Do I need a module for it, or will the apps
deal with the modem directly?

Also, I installed the hylafax package, and got all kinds of pathing errors
(i did an apt-get install).  It seems to want to be in /usr/local, and debian
probably put it where it belongs.

Before I start tearing into it's .conf files, is the a solid send/receive
fax package?  Is there an alternative?  I saw eFax, but nothing else caught
my eye.

Finally, do these packages have print-driver for "print to fax"?

And do the take a pdf as an input, or will I have to convert to ps or tiff
to send?

TIA

madmac

--