Consequences of package hold

I had to compile a package for my situation. As far as I can tell I
followed the guidelines described in the official(?) documents.

My sources.list contains entries for deb and deb-src for stable,
testing and unstable. By way of apt.conf I use stable as
Default-Release.

I believe the source package I compiled comes from unstable. Why?

I did an apt-get upgrade -s today and saw security updates for
Python and a new version in unstable for said package.

I looked around in the Apt documentation. I tried to pin the package
but that didn't work (need to study those docs a bit harder). Anyway
then I saw I could also hold the package by means of dpkg --get and
--set-selections. This works. I now see a message of the package
being held back.

However what happens when a security update becomes available for
the package I compiled? I would like to know about that. Will I also
get the generic message or will I be alerted of the new situation?

So in short, I need a custom compiled version of a package. I think
I ended up with a source package from unstable. I don't want to
track unstable for this package. I held the package by means of
dpkg. I would like to know and install (or recompile) in case of a
critical update.

Should I try to get pinning to work for this package or is my
current method the only way?

Bob