Re: Writing GIFs

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:55:37 -0700
Craig Dickson <crdic@pacbell.net> wrote:

> I realize I am a terrible person for wanting to violate Unisys's
> patents, but I'm working on a web site that I think will often be
> visited by people with old browsers (it's the site for the elementary
> school my daughter attends), so rather than use PNGs, I think I'd be
> better off with GIFs. GIMP 1.2, even with the gimp-nonfree package,
> seems only to read GIFs, not write them. Does anyone know of a good,
> free-at-least-as-in-beer Linux program to translate PNGs and/or BMPs
> to compressed GIFs? If not, I guess I'll have to use Microsoft Photo
> Editor on Windows...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig

Actually, Gimp _does_ write .gifs. They just force you to type in the
file extension yourself, and then they'll prompt you for the .gif
options, including animation and all that. Works great on my Woody
machines around here (well, as good as something can when there's a
company like Unisys holding a patent on the technology :-).

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

In a world without fences, who needs Gates?
http://www.linux.org/