Re: finding the right package

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:22:29AM -0400, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2002-09-10 15:40:54, Phil Reardon wrote:
> > How do you find which package might contain something you need?  I need
> > glib-config-2.0 (so I can configure fribidi, which is needed to compile
> > abiword from source).  I do not know what package to get.  Thanks for
> > any suggestions.  PCR
>
> `apt-cache search glib` or `apt-file search glib` should both do the
> trick.

  Or, you might try
  apt-get build-dep abiword

  from the apt-get man page:
 build-dep
	       build-dep  causes apt-get to install/remove packages in an
	       attempt to satisfy the build dependencies for a source
	       packages. Right now virtual package build depends choose
	       a package at random.

  I don't think the other package front ends have a feature like this
(the man page for aptitude doesn't mention anything about it).

  Cheers
  Geoff Crompton