Kernel Panic with 2.4.19-686

Well, thanks for the replies about kernel upgrading :)

Based on these replies I just installed Kernel 2.4.19-686 with
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.19-686

Then I changed the lilo.conf for the new and old kernel.
While booting from new kernel it panics and gives the following message and hangs:
VFS: Cannot open root device "306" or 03:06
Pleae append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mont root fs on 03:06

I will like to mention that my "/" file system is ext3 (journling). Can that be a problem?

If yes, do I have to download the source (of 2.4.19) and recompile :| ?

--
Dr. J. S. Sahambi