Re: Aptitude and apt-get

Mike Kuhar, 2002-Sep-10 16:35 -0400:
> I've checked, and there are no other instances of either apt-get or aptitude
> running.  Further, the appropriate permissions are set to the directories
> /var/cache/apt and /var/cache/apt/archives.
>
> One question, however.  Is the pid of either apt-get or aptitude stored in a
> *.pid file that either may check?
>
> -mk

I don't see a pid file for apt-get, dpkg or aptitude in /var/run
(which is where it should be).  I also found lock files in
/var/lib/aptitude and /var/lib/dpkg, but they don't change when I
start aptitude or dselect.

I ran an strace on aptitude without any other instance and once with
another instance running and diff'd the output and found this:

aptitude:
< fcntl64(3, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0})
  = 0
< open("/var/lib/dpkg/updates/", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_LARGEFILE|O_DIRECTORY) = 4

aptitude Readonly:
> fcntl64(3, F_SETLK, {type=F_WRLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=0})
  = -1 EAGAIN  (Resource temporarily unavailable)

and there's no attempt to open /var/lib/dpkg/updates at all.  I check
that dir and found no files.

I don't know what this means, but I thought I'd post it incase someone
does understand this.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer