RE: Motherboards

Jeff Whitman said:
> Thanks JC,
>
> Are you suggesting avoiding Woody, the VIA chipset, or the Soyo P4VDA
> mother board?

VIA chipsets are pretty similar as far as their problems are concerned.
most of my experience comes from the P3-class VIA chipsets, of which
I avoid the onboard sound(disabled on CUV4X), the onboard IDE(use
promise ATA/100s instead), and don't use AGP(NVidia's drivers usually
auto disable AGP when they find a VIA chipset, but I disable it in
XF86Config-4 as well). My soundcard of choice is Soundblaster PCI128..

I do like the VIA-based boards ..but for less headaches its not too
hard to just work around the problems. By doing this my VIA-based
boards are rock solid. I have a CUV4X that was up for nearly
14 months which I pounded on day in and out(Matrox G400) till a 3
hours power outage killed it(UPS couldn't last long enough).

nate