Re: scsi & ide disk speeds?

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Svante Signell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have two different computers with SCSI disks, both with IBM brand,
> one an DDRS-39310D (10GB) and the other an IBM DNES-309170w (10GB)
> using the same kernel driver version, AIC7XXX, rev. 6.2.4 and debian
> stock kernels 2.4.18-686 and 2.4.18-686-smp, respectively. The second
> box reports much lower speeds at boot-up, and the performance is also
> lower for box2. This is unexpected since both the SCSI driver and the
> disk is newer. Anyone have a good explanation?
>
> Also compared to the box2 IDE disk (with DMA enabled), the speeds for the
> SCSI disks are inferior:

www.storagereview.com/legacy_comp.html

Go to the second testbed setup.(first doesn't have the drives you need)

You can't directly compare all the drives, but to be fair, i put the
40gv, both ultrastar es's, and a WD caviar 30 gig in the comparision.  And
for giggles, a modern hard drive, the WD1000BB

Once you adjust the bus speed of that UltraStar 18ES, it's not that bad of
a drive.

It's a pretty pointless comparision because you have to change OS's in
the comparision, but the IDE drive generally walks all over both SCSI
drives.

And the 100 gig "modern" drive just stomps all over the rest of them.

Mike