Re: dhcp/windoze question

Cameron Matheson said:

> First, his IP address is 'Obtained Automatically', does this mean i want
> to use DHCP?  Or does Windows have some proprietary method of
> automatically obtaining IP addresses?

that means DHCP..

> If it is DHCP, i shouldn't need to know the default gw or nameservers
> right?  That would be a big relief too me...

yeah. if this is a normal ethernet network you should have no problems.
HOWEVER, if the DHCP server is a win32 box you may quite likely have
DNS problems, as at least NT4 seems to add a line feed character or
something at the end of the nameservers it reports, so check /etc/resolv.conf
if your on such a network, you can modify the DHCP scripts to ignore
resolv.conf and you can configure it manually if this is the case.

if this is not a normal ethernet network(e.g. this is a computer with
DSL over PPPoE or soemthing) then additional configuration may be
required.

nate