From: Mark L. Kahnt [mailto:kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org]
Sent: Tuesday, 10 September 2002 4:11 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org; David Pastern
Subject: RE: Installing new kernel

On Tue, 2002-09-10 at 02:01, David Pastern wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Excuse my ignorance,
>
> When I recently upgraded my kernel,  I was told by a friend to do:
>
> apt-get install kernel-source-version (in my instance
kernel-source-2.4.18).

> What is the difference between apt getting the kernel-image versus
> kernel-source?  I noticed that the kernel-source d/l to /usr/src.  Then I
> untarred it and went into the newly created dir and ran make.  I then
> compiled the kernel and modules.  After doing that I ran "make dep && make
> clean".  Then I did "make bzImage".  I then did "make modules" and then
> "make modules_install".  Once that was all done I did "depmod -a".

I'm hoping that first make is something like "make config", "make
menuconfig" or "make xconfig", so that you can adjust the kernel to the
needs of your system, such as specific graphic, network or sound cards.
Otherwise, everything you've done sounds like it is right out of the
kernel source README, and what works fine for many people nearly every
time.

That said, using kernel-image-version allows people to draw upon
pre-built kernels with modules for all manner of equipment - many
modules that individual machines likely *don't* need. It works for most
situations as well, but there is the chaff and it may not be the *most*
efficient configuration for your machine.

What is recommended with Debian, however, is to use make-kpkg after you
do the configuring and "make dep" - it handles much of the individual
aspects of preparing a kernel, including specific kernel source, headers
and documentation for your configuration if you specify it, and creates
.debs that you can install and remove with dpkg, which should make your
future kernel management more efficient, and fit in with the overall
Debian software management system.

> Once done I copied the System.map and bzImage files to the /boot dir and
> then renamed them with appropriate names.  I then had to manually update
> lilo.conf and then restart lilo.  Reboot and hey presto!  Is the way i've
> done it wrong?  It seems to have worked for me, and it was advice I
received
> from a friend (a debian user), reading from several books and man pages.
> Please let me know if i'm doing things wrong.  It does seem to have
worked,
> and corresponds to what I read in my books!
>
> Dave

listmaster@lists.debian.org

ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935