Re: upgrading kernel 2.2 to 2.4.19

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 12:26:14PM -0400, Srinivas Nyayapati wrote:
> Hello
>
> I just finished net installing Debian 3.0 on my pc. But after
> installation I realized that the kernel is still ver 2.2
> How can I upgrade to ver 2.4.19. I know I can do this by editing my
> /etc/apt/sources.list file with the location for the the new kernels.
> Can somebody tell me where I can point to. When I do a -
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get -u dist-upgrade
>
> now, I get 0 packages upgraded.

apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't upgrade you to a new kernel (and generally you
wouldn't want it to, since to upgrade to a new kernel you'd have to
reboot... well I guess you can tell I'm used to workstation computers that
are always left on).

You want to install kernel-image-2.4.19-686 (or whichever processor you
have).
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/