Re: Login to home from work

Phil Reardon <pcr@pcrt.com> writes:
> What needs to be set up in order to login to my home box from work?  At
> home there is a cable modem, then a router, then two linux boxes, with
> mine running debian (sid). I have a 192.168.2.xx ip address.

Well, first off, you'll need a routable IP address; you most likely
only have one, and it's the external address of your router.  Assuming
your router is vaguely configurable, you get a couple of options:

-- Set port 22 on the router to forward to a specified internal
   machine;
-- Set some other port on the router to forward to port 22 on a
   specified machine;
-- Log in directly to your router, which happens to run Debian stable,
   and then ssh again from there to the internal machine.

Again assuming the router is running Linux, you'd need to use ipchains
or iptables to set up the port forwarding; the Firewall-HOWTO should
have details on how to set this up.

	-- Abra Mitchell