USB EZ-Link network on Linux-to-Win98?

Awhile back I got myself an EZ-Link cable from Anchor Chips.  Not
exactly sure how they work, but it makes the computer at each end of
the cable think it is talking to a slave somehow so that they
communicate using (I think) ethernet protocol of somekind.

Of course, this came with Windows drivers. Of course they seem to have
ceased making this now.  and of course I am now a linux convert.  Now,
given that, it sure is nice to have the two computers that our family
has all hooked up very easy-like: I mean, 20 mins, popping in the
driver CD and plugging in the USB cables and they are talking in
Win98.  I am expecting this to be much more non-easy in Linux, but has
anyone got a step-by-step method on how to make this work in Linux so
I can talk to my wife's Win98 laptop?

I googled and there was one thread sort of about this last December on
some newsgroup somewhere, but it was just discussing some things about
it in general.  I can bet I will need to get something new going with
the USB 1.0(1.1?) ports I've got on the Linux box, and I would bet I
need to get samba up and going as well.  That would all be new to me,
but first off, do I need a special linux driver for the thing, and if
so, is there one out there????

I'm running unstable-ish Debian on an AMD K6/2 350MHz machine (yes, it
is old, but works fine for me...)

Thanks in advance for any advice, guys.

Jeff

--