Re: serving debian to redhat boxen

In article <[🔎] 20020908205128.GA19944@cs.brown.edu>,
Gregory Seidman  <gss+debian@cs.brown.edu> wrote:
>1) export /usr with NFS from my Debian box, and mount it over /usr on the
>   other linux boxen (only solves development platform maintenance)

You really cannot share /usr over NFS between debian boxes right
now (dpkg would throw a fit), and forget about sharing it between
debian and redhat - they are way to different.

>2) home directories are folders shared from each WinXP box (i.e. each
>   user's WinXP box shares a folder, and it gets mounted by all the linux
>   boxen as the appropriate user's home directory) (there are probably huge
>   pitfalls here, but it seems to provide both common home directories and
>   a way to share with Windows)

Samba server support in Linux is much better than SMB client support,
so why not keep the homedirs on one Linux server and make that
server both an NFS server for the other Linux boxes and a samba
server for the windows boxes.

Or, as they are desktop boxes, have each user have their homedir
on the local box and export it to the other boxes over NFS and
samba on each box. You'd do this by using automount for /home,
put the local homedir under say /homelocal define the homedirs
for the other users as NFS mounts, and for the local users as
a bind mount

An example auto.home map

joe		-rw,nfsvers=3		joeserver:/homelocal/joe
steve		-rw,nfsvers=3		steveserver:/homelocal/steve
greg		-rw,fstype=bind		:/homelocal/greg

(This assumes a 2.4 kernel and recent automount)

Mike.