Re: SGML-DTD: to lyx or not to lyx?

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 22:58, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Abdul Latip <dullatip@angin.com> wrote:
>
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I am currently considering to use lyx as a standard
> > document processor. Unfortunately, it uses "non-free"
> > packages as well as "Type 3 Fonts" (what's that, btw?).
>
> The non-free XForms package will soon be in main, as will Lyx.
> [Sorry for the very late reply]
>
> Peter
>

> --

Type 3 Fonts??? Haven't heard of them for years!!! I didn't actually
work with them, but I always understood that they were the *poor
cousins* of Adobe's primary Type 1 format. Type 1 is scalable with hints
that adjust aspects so that they look better at different sizes - things
like serifs that don't disappear at small sizes, but aren't overwhelming
at large sizes. Type 3 didn't have the hinting support, and as such was
not as easily scalable.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org