Sound server error?

Hi -- I have a ymfpci.o attachment -- but when I start up KDE,
I get an error "Sound server fatal error:  cpu overload, aborting."
If I go to the control panel, and lower things to the lowest possible
CPU usage, I still get that message when I test the sound.

Does anyone know what is wrong here?  Could I possibly have some
conflict,
including [it's possible, I suppose] ALSA?  Before I installed ymfpci,
though,
I had no sound at all [still don't, I guess].

  - Michael