Re: Joining Large Files

Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> [2002-09-07 15:04:25 +0000]:
> You need a 2.4 kernel, at least glibc 2.2, and an up-to-date
> distribution (so that programs like 'cat' are compiled against
> the new library) to work with files > 2GB.

Just to pick at a very, very small point.  The cat program does not
care, it is the shell that handles I/O redirections and therefore your
shell must be compiled to support large files.

  cat splitfile1 splitfile2 > joinedfile

When scanning that line the shell will be the program that opens up
joinedfile for writing and then will pass the open file off to cat as
standard output.

Debugged that before already where someone was using a tcsh which was
not large file capable even though the rest of the system was.

Bob