Re: Sound problem via8233 chip

Jeff, 2002-Sep-05 22:15 -0700:
> Hey all,
>
> I've exhausted every resource I know trying to figure this out, but I
> haven't yet found resolution.  I'm hoping someone here can save my
> sanity!
>
> I have a Soyo MB with the VIA chip set, via8233a for sound.
>
> I compiled a 2.4.19 kernel with sound built internal and the sound
> wouldn't load stating that the sound hardward is not supported.
>
> So, I recompiled with the kernel sound as modules and used sndconfig
> to try to configure it.  But the modules wouldn't load stating that
> the sound hardware is not supported.
>
> So, I recompiled the kernel to prepare for ALSA and I compiled the
> ALSA modules.  Finally the sound modules load fine without any
> complaints.  However, it doesn't work.  I can hear pops and moans from
> the speakers, and when I start esd I hear a hum for a few seconds.  I
> followed the ALSA procedures to the letter and all went perfectly.
>
> From KDE I enable artsd and when it tries to start I get a message
> stating that the device /dev/dsp can't be opened, device or resource
> busy.
>
> I know the permissions are correct (set to crw-rw-rw- for all devices)
> and I know that all the sound components are unmuted and set to a
> reasonable level.
>
> TIA,
> jc

A few more notes on my problem (which persists):

- This is a triple boot system with Win98se and Win2K, using the Win2K
  boot loader.  I'm aware of issues with sound and other things not
  working right when initialized by Windows and rebooted to Linux, so
  I've booted from dead power directly to Linux and the problem is
  still there.

- I've stopped any and all processes that could be using the sound
  devices and tried using aplay to play wav files to no avail.  This
  is from console with nothing X running (accept xfs), both from my
  user and from root...didn't help.

- I've had the system held high over my head prepared to toss it out
  the window, but it still refuses to produce sounds other than the
  system beep!  My wife played good-cop and stopped me from tossing
  it.  Still no joy!

thanks,
jc

--