Re: Woody on a 486/50

Bob Nielsen (nielsen@oz.net) wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 03:14:23PM -0400, David Sanders wrote:
> > I'm trying to install Woody on a 486/50 with 8MB RAM & SCSI CD/HD.
> > I boot with a DOS floppy, go to CD:\install and execute boot.bat.
> > Everything seems to be working until it outputs something like:
> > RAMDISK: Found compressed image at sector 0
> > Then it hangs and locks up the machine requiring a CTRL-ALT-DEL
> >
> > Any suggested remedy?
> >
> > David Sanders
> > david@sandersweb.net
> > http://www.sandersweb.net
>
> I believe 16 MB is the minimum nowadays, at least with ramdisk.

Actually, it's 12MB:
2.3 Memory and Disk Space Requirements

You must have at least 12MB of memory and 110MB of hard disk space. For
a minimal console-based system (all standard packages), 250MB is
required. If you want to install a reasonable amount of software,
including the X Window System, and some development programs and
libraries, you'll need at least 400MB. For a more or less complete
installation, you'll need around 800MB. To install everything available
in Debian, you'll probably need around 2 GB. Actually, installing
everything doesn't even make sense, since some packages conflict with
others.

Taken from
<http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-hardware-req.en.html#s2.3>

FWIW (and IIRC) potato will install on x86 systems with 8MB or less. I
supposed you could install potato and dist-upgrade to woody.

HTH,
Ron
--
Email: <rbf@farrer.net> or <rbf@debian.org>