ssh not working

I've never been able to get ssh to work on a Linux box.  I just upgraded
to Woody and have tried again.  I'm trying to connect to a Red Hat box
with ssh.  I generated a key and I have the identity and identity.pub
files in .ssh on the Debian system.  I logged in to the RedHat system
and placed the key in the .ssh/authorized_keys.  When I attempt to ssh
to that system, it always asks me for a password.  Is there a log
somewhere that might tell me what is failing?

In going the other way, I get "Secure connection to <server> refused".

This thing is too secure.  It's unusable..

Thanks for any advice.

Jim.